Monday 27 August 2012

Lecture 5 - Picture Stories

"A picture has no meaning at all if it can't tell a story." - Eetu Silanpaa

The idea of journalism without pictures is fairly bleak.  I don't think for a second I would be as interested in this field if it wasn't for the pictures.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy writing, but the visual aspect is very significant for me. 


Photos have an ability to move people, to evoke emotions and to really have an effect in a way that words don't quite have.  Technology has evolved at an astonishing pace and given us as citizens the ability to capture anything at anytime with our pocket sized cameras.  Not all photos tell a story though.  Framing (the rule of thirds), exposure, focus, angle, point of view and timing are all crucial elements that need to be considered when capturing that great shot.  A great photographer captures a moment with a story behind it.  


Throughout history, pictures have always been a vital communicative tool when people couldn't read of write.  From ancient Egypt to the bible, using photos to convey meaning and express emotion has been paramount.  


As our world has evolved, this concept is still very relevant.  In modern society a picture can literally 'tell a thousand words' and we can do all of this so easily at anytime of the day.  Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that all pictures are works of art...those gifted people out there who know what they're doing are the ones who hold the key.  We can only learn from them and hope we can emulate the brilliance they have been creating all this time.  


While I can't claim to be as good as these talented people, here's my attempt anyway.  My favourite subject in the world to capture...my dog.





Lily x

No comments:

Post a Comment