Monday 20 August 2012

Lecture 1 - Telling Factual Stories

After frantically searching for the lecture theatre for some time and stressing about being five minutes late, I was relieved to be greeted by a very enthusiastic and welcoming Dr Bruce Redman.  I knew straight away I would enjoy myself here.  I had just sat down when Bruce was discussing the essence of journalism.  This was when I heard Philip Graham's words, "Journalism is the first rough draft of history."  It struck a chord with me and left me wondering how vital our future as Journalist's is.  

Unlike in other subjects, I felt a really strong, interested and passionate vibe amongst my peers.  As I looked around the room, it seemed as though they were really keen to get stuck into it.  The lecture was an introduction to get our creative juices flowing and to meet Bruce.  He went through the assessment and my initial reaction wasn't so good.  When I heard we had to 'blog' I broke out in a cold sweat.  After severely procrastinating about it, I had a firm talking to myself in the mirror and here I am.  "Telling Factual Stories" was the essence of Bruce's lecture and it got me to thinking about my future role as an aspiring Journalist.  Hunting for the truth and stopping at nothing until I find it.  After all, "I am the Journalist".





Lily x

No comments:

Post a Comment